Need Help Paying for Child Care?

Follow these steps:


Find your local Resource and Referral agency

Click Here > Then Scroll Down


Review the list of Verifications needed to apply


Meet with a case manager to apply for services.


Just call us: 1-800-585-1603

The Child Care Resource Center (CCRC) offers assistance in paying for child care for eligible families.  Participants must be working, going to school, or searching for a job to apply and must be income eligible to receive assistance with the cost of child care.

In order to determine eligibility, the family would need to come to the Child Care Resource Center office that represents the county in which the family resides.  The family would meet with one of the case managers to do a 30 to 45-minute intake.  Intakes are conducted on a first come, first serve basis with the last intake conducted no later than 4:15pm.

The family will need to provide verifications within 13 days of the intake.  The income guidelines can assist a family in knowing if they may be eligible for subsidy services.

Choosing and Using Child Care

When selecting a child care program that is right for your family, you will want to visit the program to see if meets your expectations.  The CCRC can provide you with a list of licensed child care centers and registered in-home and facility providers upon your request.  There are Things to Ask the providers when visiting the programs to determine if the program is a right fit for you and your child(ren).

High quality programs should have degreed staff that have been trained in early childhood development.  Staff with the knowledge on how to care for young children will positively impact your child’s development.  Having access to a plethora of materials to engage and enhance learning provides your child with opportunities to promote their understanding of the world around them.  The state of West Virginia has a Tiered Reimbursement Program that identifies programs that have met additional requirements beyond the health and safety requirements a registered or licensed program.  These programs have been identified as either a Tier II or III program.  You can find more about the Tiered Reimbursement program by visiting

How can parents help their children succeed?

  • Selecting a child care program is important in determining the quality of care your child will receive. When searching for a child care program, visit the program, speak with the staff and ask questions that will help you understand how your child’s typical day will be like. Refer to the Things to Ask document to get an idea of the types of questions you should be asking the child care provider and what to look for in a child care program.
  • In addition to finding a high quality child care program, parents can help their children succeed by spending quality time together. Listening to what your child has to say and asking questions to provoke more information is important.  This let your child know you care and respect their thoughts.  Model good behaviors such as reading, being active, eating well, and practicing good manners.  Life is stressful and demanding, but it is important to show your child you have healthy ways of responding to those stressors.
  • Parents should be involved in their child’s school and child care programs.

Paying for Child Care

After completing your application process for child care subsidy assistance and learning you are eligible, you will be provided a certificate that is good for one (1) year.  You will also be given your child care fee that you are responsible for paying your child’s child care program.  This is a minimal fee based on your income.

Not eligible? Check to see if the following programs can assist you:

Eligibility and Procedures

Child Care Eligibility

Anyone who lives in the same home with his or her child(ren), is actively participating in a qualifying activity (working, attending school, WV Works program participant), and whose income does not exceed the maximum guideline may be eligible for financial assistance for child care. If both biological or adoptive parents live in the same home as the child, or if the biological or adoptive parent is married, then both parents or guardians must be participating in a qualifying activity.

Child care may be provided for up to 90 days for current recipients or new applicants who have lost employment or who have completed school and are looking for work.

To be eligible for child care subsidy services the parent must first meet the income guidelines based at 150% of the poverty level. Once services have been established income may raise to 185% of the national poverty level. Please refer to our Income Guidelines for more information.

A child care provider may not receive financial assistance for their own children during the same time that they are providing child care for others. However, if the child care provider participates in a qualifying activity outside of the home, he/she may receive assistance for those times. Providing child care is not considered a qualifying activity. Please note that income earned as a child care provider will also be considered when determining eligibility.

Applicants must apply for child care assistance in person at any of our CCRC Offices in his/her home county.

A list of the Verifications Needed When Applying can assist you in knowing what is required. These items must be supplied within 13 days of the intake.  Failure to supply the required information within that time-frame will result in your application being withdrawn and you would be responsible for payment to the child care program.

All applications must be made in person.

*Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we are temporarily taking applications by phone as offices are closed to the public.  Please call your local CCRC office to apply.

An applicant who has not yet worked for 30 days may obtain a New Employment Verification Form from a case manager at the Child Care Resource Center. The form must be completed by the applicant’s employer and returned to the case manager before the pre-determined deadline.

Child care assistance will only be paid for the pre-approved times that cover the applicant’s qualifying activity.

However, if the applicant is registered with the Bureau of Child Support Enforcement (BCSE) and is not receiving payments, verification from BCSE will need to be submitted.

If the applicant has registered with the BCSE he/she must provide verification of monthly support payments. If the applicant has an agreement with the absent parent outside of the BCSE, he/she must submit a signed statement from the payer regarding the monetary amount that he/she pays per month.

A loss of employment, either voluntary or involuntary, must be reported to Connect CCR&R within 5 days. A case manager will discuss what options are available during this time.

Any changes, regardless of the effect on eligibility, must be reported to your case manager at the Child Care Resource Center within 5 days. A case manager will provide the appropriate paperwork to maintain eligibility to document the change(s).

A child care fee is the amount of money the applicant is responsible for paying to the child care provider per day, per child. The child care fee is determined according to the family’s monthly gross income and is based on a sliding fee scale.

All information is considered confidential. Information will not be released without the applicant’s written consent.

Child Care Reviews

Applications or Review Forms may not be faxed because original signatures are required. However, many verifications can be faxed. If an applicant chooses to fax verification, it is recommended that he/she follow up with a phone call to the Child Care Resource Center to confirm if the fax was or was not received.

The Wheeling, Morgantown and Fairmont office locations have drop boxes. The New Martinsville office located in the DHHR office will accept items during normal business hours if the case manager is unavailable. Correspondence may also be mailed, faxed, or delivered in person to the Child Care Resource Center office during regular business hours.

It is not necessary to see a case manager unless you are applying for services or more information is needed. However, an individual may, at any time, request to see a case manager during normal business hours.

Case Managers are trained in child care policy and should be able to answer any questions. However, if a case manager cannot provide a satisfactory answer or solution, any individual may speak with a supervisor on duty at any time. Our administrative assistants are able to answer general questions as well.

Once an application has been approved a “case” is opened. Child care cases must be reviewed every twelve (12) months or sooner if deemed necessary by a case manager or supervisor.

Child care policy requires that cases are reviewed at least once every twelve (12) months, and that new, updated verifications are submitted.

If an individual fails to complete a child care review prior to the last day of eligibility, the child care case will close and that individual will become responsible for paying the full amount of child care costs without financial assistance. However, the individual may reapply for services in person at the Child Care Resource Center.

Child care fees may change following a review because the family’s monthly gross income is reassessed at that time.

Subsidy Forms

Those wishing to apply for subsidized child care, or who currently receive subsidized child care, will at times need to submit verification of employment or other changes. The CCRC has individual forms for such information (listed below).

New Employment Verification Form

  • This form is to verify new employment situations in which the applicant has not yet received pay and is unable to provide paystubs as proof of employment. Once the applicant has received one months’ worth of paystubs, copies must be given to the agency.
  • The top of the form needs to be completed by the parent. The bottom portion needs completed by the employer.

[wpfilebase tag=file id=424 tpl=download-button /]

Change of Information Form

**All Changes MUST be reported within five (5) days of the change.**

  • Used to report changes to your case, included but not limited to:
    • Change in child care provider
    • Addition of child care provider
    • Changes in Family Size
      • New Child
      • Marriage
      • Divorce/Separation
      • Addition of Household Member (boyfriend, girlfriend, biological parent of child in care.
    • Change in Contact Information
      • Address
      • Phone Number
      • Name
    • Change/Addition of Employment Status
      • Job Change
      • Schedule Change
      • Loss of Job
      • Request of 90 day Job Search
    • Change/Addition to School Status
      • Schedule Change
      • Graduation
      • Withdrawal
    • Changes/Addition to Income (child support, social security, disability income, etc).
    • Additional Information

[wpfilebase tag=file id=427 tpl=download-button /]

Department of Health and Human Resource Websites